Throughout your Explore Malawi trip, you will be fully catered for with breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks in between.
Relatively free from outside influences, Malawi cuisine remains fairly rustic and traditional. Dishes centre around starchy carbohydrates with side dishes of vegetables and meat - mainly chicken and goat.
Here's an example of a typical day's menu:
Breakfast: Usually breakfast porridge (nsima or sometimes made with rice), served with milk and sugar (sometimes cinnamon is added).
Lunch: Nsima, with meat/chicken or fish, beans and vegetables, and fresh fruit.
Dinner: Usually a selection of nsima or rice, with meat/chicken or vegetable tasty stews, fresh fish and beans.
Here are a few of the most popular dishes.
- Nsima - traditional thick carb stable made from maize flour
- Ndivo - sauce or stew made from vegetable leaves or meat that is added to nsima
- Utipa - small fish like whitebait or sardines
- Nkhwaniwotendera - pumpkin leaves in peanut powder stew
- Nthochi - bread made from mashed banana
- Mbatata - biscuits made with sweet potato and cinnamon
- Mandasi - local deep fried donut
Check out the World Travel Guide website for more dishes.